The holistic education curriculum aims to equip students with broad knowledge and skills (particularly in critical thinking) necessary to be active citizens and social actors. In short, we want to help students realize their potential physically, mentally, and spiritually.
1. Promotes the Vision & Mission of Fu Jen Catholic University: The Holistic Education Curriculum is developed based on the vision and mission of the university to cultivate and nurture well-rounded and balanced students.
2. Furthers Intra-university Collaboration: Colleges and departments participated in the development of course objectives, recruitment of teachers, and setting of teaching methods. Interdisciplinary in its planning, these courses fully leverage and integrate the expertise and resources across university departments.
3. Integrates Characteristics of Diverse Fields: Taking into account the characteristics and needs of different departments, three of the fundamental courses (Introduction to University Life, Philosophy of Life, Professional Ethics) are tailored to the specific needs and characteristics of each specific major and field and grouped by departmental cohorts.
4. Offers Flexibility through Elective Courses: Students are free to choose courses within the general education category to suit their needs and interests. Courses offered cover a wide range of topics in the three areas of Arts and Humanities, Natural Science and Technology, and Social Sciences. These courses are designed to cultivate general knowledge and understanding in the humanities. The Historical and Cultural Studies course is also customized and offered to meet the needs of specific majors and fields, providing diverse options for students to choose from. Besides English, the Foreign Languages category offers nine other options including Japanese, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Korean, Vietnamese, Thai and Indonesian, for students to choose from.
Course Objectives & Goals:
Introduction to University Life introduces students to the purpose of a university education, distinguishes features at the university, college, and departmental levels, and the overviews the developmental trajectory of college students. The purpose of this course is to help students acclimate to college life, understand how to access learning resources, cultivate studying and learning habits, and ultimately prepare students for their future careers.
Philosophy of Life nurtures critical thinking skills and guides students to think about where they stand in today’s fast-paced environment through philosophical thinking. This course aims to help students develop harmonious relationships with nature, the surrounding environment, and fellow human beings. Leveraging diverse perspectives, students learn how to problem solve, reflect, and communicate while developing an outlook that respects the world in which we live in.
Professional Ethics combines professionalism with the important topic of ethics, guiding students to learn and understand the importance of professional ethics. The goal is to enhance students’ sense of responsibility, morality, and ethical sensitivity while also cultivating in them the ability to analyze and judge situations and make suitable choices.
Physical Education helps students develop a positive perspective about exercise and health. By strengthening students’ physical fitness and motor skills and encouraging interpersonal interaction and teamwork, this course seeks to help students cultivate a lifelong habit of exercise to achieve well-rounded physical and spiritual development and self-actualization.
Chinese Literature endeavors to improve students' ability in Chinese language, writing, and critical thinking; enhance students' appreciation and interest in literary works; and also help students understand Chinese culture and its modern significance. This course strives to inspire students to explore the meaning and purpose of life, enrich humanistic values, and to develop their own system of beliefs and values.
Foreign Languages not only aims to strengthen students' basic ability to listen, speak, read and write in foreign languages; these courses aspire to teach foreign cultures and nurture talent with the ability to work across all cultures in international settings.
General Education seek to accomplish the following goals:
1. Mitigate the narrowing of knowledge in the advent of specialization by exposing students to a broad base of knowledge and experiences that are relevant across fields. Besides exploring, integrating, and connecting all areas of knowledge, these courses aim to cultivate in students a lifelong love for learning.
2. Enlighten and nurture conscientious students by teaching them the values of humanity and the importance of reflection. By exploring different cultures, these team-oriented and interactive courses guide students to discover who they are while learning to become conscientious and responsible human beings who are concerned about the environment and fellow mankind.
3. Expose students to a broad base of knowledge to help them develop a generosity of spirit, critical thinking skills, and well-rounded personalities, ultimately enabling them to lead healthy and happy lives.
Area Goals & Objectives
1. Arts and Humanities courses inspire students to think critically while cultivating in them a positive outlook, sense of aesthetics, and an appreciation for beauty and the humanities. These courses help students find meaning and value in life.
2. Natural Science and Technology courses help students understand how scientific and technological advances contribute to the development of civilization while providing them training in the scientific method and discussing related topics in ethics. These courses in science education also emphasize harmonious relationships between man and nature.
3. Social Sciences courses stresses the cultivation of ethical and moral values as well as a concern for society. Students investigate current social issues and learn the importance of participation as well as how to coexist harmoniously with different cultures and peoples.
Historical and Cultural Studies courses aim to help students understand topics in history, culture, homeland, nationality and the world while cultivating in them historical consciousness and historical thinking. Through course discussions on history (world history, Chinese history, Taiwan history) and culture (cultural development, culture and life), students are able to broaden their perspectives about these subjects as well as their view of the world.